Doctors from the temporary hospital in Szczecin sound the alarm that patients who come to the ward wait too long at home for their condition to improve. – They come to us after 10-14 days, already with full-blown covid pneumonia – says Dr. Magda Wiśniewska, head of the Szczecin temporary hospital.
Located in the building M of the clinical hospital No. 2 in Szczecin’s Pomorzany, the facility is the only facility of this type in the region. During the year of operation, nearly 1.3 thousand people were hospitalized here. patients from all over the province.
– Patients who go to a temporary hospital are immediately looked after by doctors, nurses, paramedics and medical caregivers. We have a full range of professionals – says Dr. Magda Wiśniewska, who manages the temporary hospital in Szczecin.
He adds that the dormitory rooms are the difference compared to other hospitals. – We try to provide the best possible care – adds Dr. Wiśniewska.
WATCH TVN24 ON THE INTERNET ON TVN24 GO >>>
Waiting too long
Medics indicate that virtually all patients require oxygen therapy and administration of antibiotics from the beginning of hospitalization. – Oxygen therapy has been going full steam ahead in these patients practically from the very beginning – pointed out Dr. Wiśniewska.
She points out that patients go to the hospital too late:
– They wait too long at home for it to “pass” when they take an antibiotic and after 10-14 days they come to us with very advanced changes in the course of covid pneumonia – says the doctor.
Dr. Magda Wiśniewska points out that nearly half of the patients, apart from COVID-19 pneumonia, also have comorbidities.
– The other half are patients who have decompensation of completely different diseases, but it is accompanied by covid and therefore cannot lie in target departments: cardiology, gastroenterology or surgery – he informs.
Only the unvaccinated went to ECMO
Patients of the Szczecin temporary hospital are – as Dr. Wiśniewska points out – constantly monitored. The layout of the facility (the respiratory department is separated from the oxygen one floor) makes it possible to act as quickly as possible in the event of their condition deteriorating.
– We can give the patient oxygen therapy first, then there are high-flow oxygen therapies on devices that are available only to specialized centers and if it stops helping, i.e. the patient still has respiratory failure, at this point we talk to our anesthesiologists to transfer him to the ventilator ward – said the doctor .
She admitted that patients were also admitted to the temporary hospital, who had to be placed in the ventilator ward immediately after consultation with an anesthesiologist.
– In most cases, we try to treat so that the patient in the conservative oxygen ward can get everything we can offer. We assess the patient’s condition on an ongoing basis, explained Dr. Wiśniewska.
She noted that the ventilator “is one of the methods of treating respiratory failure in the course of covid pneumonia”:
– Of course, this is worse, but we have a lot of patients who returned to the oxygen ward and went home after ventilator therapy – noted the head of the temporary hospital.
She added that the treatment of last resort is ECMO (extracorporeal blood oxygenation). Of the ten patients who required it, one survived – all were unvaccinated.
Temporary hospital in Szczecin
Main photo source: Leszek Szymański / PAP